Your 1-year-old is growing and learning quickly, but parents are mainly concerned about their height and weight. Each baby grows at their own pace, but they follow a similar growth pattern based on their size and gender.
- Good fats and carbohydrates are a storehouse of energy which helps in weight and height management.
- A protein-rich diet is essential to accelerate the height of a kid and repair the tissues and develop lean muscles. Examples– milk, lentils, beans, eggs, oatmeal, whole grains
- Babies need minerals such as calcium and vitamin D-rich foods to build strong bones. Example – milk, paneer, ragi, whole pulses like Bengal gram.
- Iron and vitamins are essential for their development and to boost their metabolism. Examples - whole grains, beans, and pulses, dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach.
Factors that Affect Child Growth
- Genetics (Hereditary)
- Environmental factors such as altitude, climate (effected for baby shape, seasonal rates of growth), urbanization, socioeconomic status, size & social mobility
- Nutrients & food
- Endocrine (body's different hormones)
General Tips for Introducing Foods for 1 Year Babies
- Breastfeeding is ideal and acceptable nourishment food to maintain optimal growth and development for the first 4-6 months after giving birth and also try to breastfeed for 12 months.
- Switching to other sources of nutrition should begin around 6 months of age to provide adequate micronutrients in their diet.
- 1-year-olds should drink 1-4 cups (480-1000ml) of water per day.
- Introduce new foods every week, monitor for allergies for 3 days.
- Don't stress if the baby is a picky eater.
- Be patient, don't expect quick weight and height changes.
What Food To Include In 1 Year Baby Diet
- Fruits – Banana, Apple, Pears, muskmelon, Peaches, Plums
- Vegetables - Sweet Potato, Carrot, Pumpkin, Sapodilla
- Cereals & Grains - Rice, Wheat, Ragi, Barley, Semolina, Makhana, Quinoa
- Pulses -Yellow Moong Dal,
- Dairy - Ghee, Butter (in moderation)
- Non-Vegetarian – None
Foods for Ideal weight and height
Below are the most popular baby foods:
- Plain moong dal khichdi or vegetable khichdi without salt, and banana porridge is a very healthy protein rich food, lightly seasoned, and an enjoyable meal made with rice and lentils.
- Boiled Eggs are a powerhouse food for kids to keep eye health and ideal brain development. They are rich in protein, healthy fats, and other nutrients.
- Milk and dairy products like paneer, curd are good sources of bone-building. Dairy is generally safe at this age, although be sure to observe for signs of a lactose intolerance.
- Fresh, seasonal, and soft fruits like bananas, mango, watermelon, pears, etc. are great options for providing essential nutrients in the form of slices or smoothies (easily made) to help begin healthy eating habits and growth development.
- Mashed or boiled potatoes are carbohydrate energy sources, ideal food choices for babies to introduce into their diet because of their soft, buttery texture and delicious taste. It is easy to digest and packed with minerals and vitamins.
- Whole grains such as boiled rice, chapati (missi form) are very healthy for a child’s diet to boost his height and weight.
Note that the eight most common allergy-causing foods - milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Feed your baby traditional, home-cooked meals for optimal growth. A balanced diet prevents health issues. It is important to ensure that they are getting a balanced diet to prevent health problems like overeating, constipation, anemia, and malnutrition in the future.
However, do not include foods without complete nutritional value just to increase calories. Remember that there is no overnight magic to boost your child's height and weight. It is always better to consult with a pediatrician for better guidance.
Get expert medical advice from our team of experienced pediatricians within 15 minutes or emergency-consultation for your child's health and development. Sign up for Babynama's care plans today to get unlimited access to chat with a pediatrician directly on WhatsApp to get answers to your child's health-related queries and the best possible care. Babynama's aim is to provide fast, reliable, and quality healthcare support to parents. Be a part of Babynama today!