Premature babies require special care and attention to support their development and improve their health. Focusing on their nutritional needs and providing extra assistance can help them grow stronger and more quickly. Newborn premature infants need extra attention to develop into healthy individuals.
Premature newborns are deprived of several needs, such as:
- They are light, weighing in at less than 2 kg.
- There is a thin sheen on their skin.
- There is a significant possibility of becoming infected.
- The reflux in the esophagus is prolonged.
- The infant has still not developed the ability to suck.
- The baby's cries are weak.
- The baby wants special attention.
What Care Must Be Taken?
To care for a premature baby, it is crucial to focus on the following aspects:
- Feed the baby as prescribed by your physician every 2-3 hours
- Use colostrum or breast milk to boost the baby's immunity
- Use syringe feeding or the Katori and spoon method to prevent reflux
- Follow each feeding with a burp and thorough cleaning of the breasts, pump, and syringes
- Place the premature baby on the mother's bosom for warmth and soothing
- Helps the baby gain weight more quickly
- Highly recommended by pediatricians
3. Cleanliness Practice:
- Clean the baby's sleeping area daily with Dettol or Savlon water
- Use a sponge to wipe the baby's body instead of bathing for a few days
- Keep sick individuals away from the baby
- Sanitize hands before dealing with the baby
- Note any episodes of frequent urination and the color and consistency of the baby's stools
- Keep an eye on the baby's weight and watch for signs of jaundice and diabetes
5. Massage Remedies:
- Use coconut oil for massaging the baby
- Sponge bathe the baby with boiled warm water every day
- A mother's touch enhances the bond between her and her child
- Use two layers of oil during winter to keep the baby warm and moisturized
Don’t Forget Yourself
Having a balanced and nutritious food for the baby's development is essential for the mother's well-being. During pregnancy and giving birth, your body goes through many changes. You need to have some time to recover. **Nutrition, rest, and sleep are vital **for your and your baby's speedy recovery.
Get expert medical advice from our team of experienced pediatricians within 15 minutes or emergency-consultation for your child's health and development. Sign up for Babynama's care plans today to get unlimited access to chat with a pediatrician directly on WhatsApp to get answers to your child's health-related queries and the best possible care. Babynama's aim is to provide fast, reliable, and quality healthcare support to parents. Be a part of Babynama today!